Andy Murray In a message to his fans on Wednesday said he will miss the rest of the season because of his hip injury, although he has chosen a continuation of rest rather than surgery, indicating the complaint is not potentially career-ending.
Murray rose to the apex in the ATP rankings after a stunning end to 2016 culminated with a Tour Finals victory over Novak Djokovic in London, but he has struggled ever since.
Murray’s only title triumph of the year came in Dubai as he failed to reach any Grand Slam final this year.
He has been struggling with the injury since a five-set French Open semi-final loss to Switzerland’s Stan Wawrinka in June. The exit led to him being poked off the top of the world rankings by Rafael Nadal recently.
“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to compete in the upcoming events in Beijing and Shanghai, and most likely, the final two events to finish the season in Vienna and Paris due to my hip injury which has been bothering me the last few months,” Murray said.
“Having consulted with a number of leading hip specialists over the last week, along with my own team, we have decided that this is the best decision for my long-term future.
“Although this has been a frustrating year on court for many reasons, I’m confident after this extended period of rest and rehabilitation that I will be able to reach my best level again and be competing for Grand Slam titles next season.
“I will be beginning my 2018 season in Brisbane in preparation for the Australian Open and I’m looking forward to playing in Glasgow later this year against Roger for UNICEF UK and Sunny-sid3up.
“I have a fantastic team working alongside me to help me through this process and appreciate the support from them and all of my fans over this difficult period.”
The 30-year-old Scot has not played since losing to Sam Querrey in the Wimbledon quarter-finals.
Having withdrawn from the US Open two days before the commencement of the tournament, Murray briefly returned to New York earlier this week, shortly after the main draw was made, which resulted in minor controversy, as it left the favourites, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal scheduled to meet in the semi-finals rather than in Sunday’s final.
Both Roger and Nadal had extended absences last year and came back in better form than ever.
The 30-year-old said he will return to the court on January 1, 2018 at the Brisbane International in preparation for the Australian Open.
It means Murray will have taken more than five months off and could drop out of the top 10.
Murray now joins Novak Djokovic, Stan Wawrinka and Kei Nishikori on the list of top ranked tennis players on the ATP tour who have pulled out of active tennis until 2018.