Nigeria

Rafael Nadal pulls out of Mexican Open

Top seed Rafael Nadal has pulled out of this week’s Mexican Open in Acapulco after aggravating the leg injury that forced him out of the Australian Open last month.

The world No 2, who was due to face fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez on Wednesday, said he felt a sharp pain during his final training session on Tuesday and decided not to compete on the advice of his medical team.

“Doctors have told me that it is impossible to play, regardless of whether it hurts,” said Nadal. “There is a significant risk of increasing the injury and I have no choice.

“I went to the hospital this morning to check it and to do an MRI [scan] and I still have some liquid there,” Nadal said.

“I need to keep doing tests to know exactly what is going on.

“The spot is really similar to Australia so we need to be really sure what is going on in the next couple of days.”

It is the fifth consecutive tournament Nadal has been forced to withdraw from and he has now cast doubt on returning in time for the Indian Wells Masters next week.

“It is impossible for me to say something realistic about if I am going go be at Indian Wells or not.

“My goal is to be there and I am going to work to try and be there but I can’t say yes or no know.

“I hope the tests will be as positive as possible and then lets see.”

Japanese Taro Daniel has replaced Rafael Nadal in Acapulco and is presently in a first round match action with Feliciano Lopez.

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker